In all of your hustle and bustle this Black Friday, why not save a few of those errands for tomorrow? And support local businesses in the process!
Here are some of our favorites from the various places that we read:
– Second Chapter Books, Middleburg, VA: This quaint bookstore, run by two of the nicest ladies you could meet, is set in rural Middleburg, VA, a small town bursting full of great restaurants, boutiques, wineries, and even some polo. It is well worth the scenic drive out from the more populated areas of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. Check them out on Facebook to keep up to date with new events.
– The Town Book Store, Westfield, NJ: Open since 1934, this store has every book that you’re looking for and a few you didn’t even know you needed! Visit them for personal recommendations, staff favorites, and to see the original ledger, dated September 1934 for a piece of literature history. This is the place to go for what they call “good, old-fashioned book selling.”
– Main Street Books, St. Charles, MO: Located on historic Main Street amidst charming antique stores, old-fashioned ice cream parlors, and sophisticated restaurants, this bookstore is sure to please literature and history buffs alike. They specialize in local history, Western history (to include Civil War and Lewis & Clark), and Children’s books but have something to discover for every reader. The owners are published authors themselves, so stop by to talk lit with them. Make sure to stop by over the holiday season to engage in some old fashioned carols and chestnuts roasted on an open fire!
– Bookends, Kailua, HI: Get lost among piles of new and used books at this lit-lover’s tropical paradise. If you’re searching for an out-of-print book, this is the place to go. Feel free to get lost rummaging through the endless stacks of books or ask the friendly staff where your query might be. They always know!
– Collected Works Bookstore & Coffeehouse, Santa Fe, NM: The oldest independently-owned bookstore in Santa Fe, Collected Works serves up an extensive selection of literature alongside a fantastic cup of organic, locally-roasted Aroma Coffee. Bonus: they offer 20% off all coffeehouse purchases between 8:00 and 9:00 am!
Can’t get to the store? It’s okay! The Town Book Store, Main Street Books, and Collected Works ship all over the country. Or check out your local bookstore to support your local community! Where are you planning to shop on Small Business Saturday?